Here are some frequently asked questions by professionals seeking canfitpro Certification.
- Do I have to take a course before taking the certification exam?
- If I take the course, am I required to proceed to the exam?
- Can I take the FIS and PTS courses at the same time?
- How do I get forms to sign up for courses or exams?
- When do I receive exam results?
- Do I have to be certified, or pursuing certification, to be a member of canfitpro?
- How much will it cost to take a course, exam and buy the manuals? Are all of these items mandatory, or do you have an option for which ones to purchase?
- How accessible is the exam? Do you have to pay to travel out of your local area to take the exam?
- Does the organization make it easy to prepare for the course in your local area?
- Does the organization make it easy to find and register for courses and exams from start to finish, or do they send you out on your own to prepare for the exam?
- How current are the training materials? When was the training manual written or last revised?
- Is the membership expensive and what are the membership benefits?
- What about recertification? How much will it cost each time to recertify? How many credits will you need to earn? Will courses, conferences or workshops be available to you on a regular basis to earn the credits?
- What happens if I forget to recertify?
- What about Canadian content?
- Where are your certifications recognized? Locally, provincially, nationally, internationally?
- Can you work with a local contact person, or do you deal with a faceless bureaucracy?
- What kind of CPR do I need to become certified?
- Why is CPR required to be renewed annually?
- Can I change the date of my course/exam?
- Can I cancel my course/exam?
- Can I transfer my course/exam to another person?
- What happens if my PRO TRAINER cancels the course?
- How long will it take for my course material to arrive?
- Can I receive a refund for my course materials?
- How much time do I need to prepare for my exam?
- How long do I have to complete my exams?
- What if I have more questions?
No, the course, manual and study guide are educational tools to assist you in completing the examination procedure successfully. If you feel your current level of education and skill is sufficient, then you can proceed directly to the exam. There is a practical as well as a theoretical (written) portion to the FIS, PTS and NWS exams. If you are not taking the course, we recommend you purchase both the Certification Manual and the Study Guide so you know what to expect on the exam.
No, we frequently have club members and other fitness enthusiasts take the course for general interest.
No, because these are three completely different courses. The delivery of the course and some of the basic theory will be similar, but the practical applications are very different.
Exam results are available by contacting your PRO TRAINER approximately one (1) week after both the theory and practical components have been completed.
No, membership is open to anyone who is interested in staying up-to-date on happenings in the Canadian fitness industry. To become certified, you must join canfitpro and keep your membership up-to-date annually.
How much will it cost to take a course, exam and buy the manuals? Are all of these items mandatory, or do you have an option for which ones to purchase?
You can usually take the exam at the same location the course was offered in urban and rural settings all across Canada!
Your PRO TRAINER is your local contact who offers you a course and exam in your own backyard!
Does the organization make it easy to find and register for courses and exams from start to finish, or do they send you out on your own to prepare for the exam?
One phone call to us gets you registered for the course, exam and materials. We don't need to send you to other course providers or organizations because we provide total service to you from start to finish.
At canfitpro we know that fitness professionals need up to date information on exercise science and design. We have a mandate of updating our certification resources every two (2) years to ensure that you receive the most relevant information possible with regards to your certification process.
Compare our membership dues to the others! It is a great value, saving you at least $100 off the Toronto Conference registration fee (regular rate) and gives you a subscription to canfitpro Magazine that you'll receive six (6) times a year! Click here to see all the benefits of membership.
What about recertification? How much will it cost each time to recertify? How many credits will you need to earn? Will courses, conferences or workshops be available to you on a regular basis to earn the credits?
Once you are certified with us, you pay no further certification fees. Just keep your membership up-to-date! Earn CECs at our annual conference or at a local canfitpro approved workshop. You must obtain a minimum of 4.0 CEC's per year per certification that you hold.
We are committed to helping you remain certified:
- If you miss your recertification date and are within one (1) month of your expiration date and we will allow you to submit all of your requirements within that month. You will be charged a $20 (plus applicable taxes) fee.
- If you’ve missed your recertification by more than one (1) month and before one (1) year, you are able to reinstate your certification by completing a Practical Exam with a PRO TRAINER (live assessment of your knowledge and skills put into practice) and maintain your original certification date. Membership and CPR must be up to date before a new certificate will be issued. A fee of $99 (+ applicable tax) will be required.
- If you have been expired for more than one (1) year you will be required to complete both the theory and practical exams again, your certification date will be adjusted to reflect the new date.
Please note extension fees and reinstatement fees are non-refundable.
canfitpro was started in Canada, for Canadians by Canadians. We bring you the best local, provincial and national coverage, as well as the international information that really counts!
Your certification is recognized nationally and internationally. You will not need to pay "transfer fees" if you move between provinces.
Your PRO TRAINER is your local contact, and the staff at canfitpro offices are always available to help!
Basic Adult CPR certification obtained during a live course is required to become certified. First aid is recommended although not required. CPR is valid up to one (1) year from the date it was originally issued. CPR recertification must be completed annually to renew your certification(s).
Due to the high risk nature of our industry, it is extremely important to renew your CPR & AED skills annually so that you can respond confidently in an emergency. canfitpro strives to meet or exceed industry standards on a national and international level and requiring that CPR and other skills be updated annually ensures that we are able to do this.
Yes, you are able to transfer your spot in a course or exam to another person at the original purchase price. Transfers are not applicable to canfitpro memberships. Transfers may only be completed by phone by calling canfitpro customer service at 1-800-667-5622. Full payment from the new candidate must be received prior to the original Candidate being refunded (minus the cost of canfitpro membership) the course or exam fee. Transfers must be completed prior to the start of the course or exam during canfitpro business hours.
If your PRO TRAINER needs to cancel a course date, they will notify you by email or phone. In this event, canfitpro is available to help rebook you into a new course that works with your schedule. If we are not able to rebook you, canfitpro will offer a refund including course materials (provided they are returned to canfitpro in excellent condition) and canfitpro Professional membership (full amount will be refunded within two months of purchase, after this point membership will be refunded according to a prorated scale).
Regular shipping will take 10 business days. Express shipping is available at an additional cost and will take three (3) to four (4) business days.
No. All course materials (manuals, study guides, online courses) are non-refundable.
We recommend you give yourself approximately three (3) weeks to prepare for your exam.
You have one (1) year to complete your theory exam after you have completed your certification course. After you have successfully completed your theory exam, you have six (6) months from that date to complete your practical exam. Missing either of these deadlines you will have to complete the full exam process again and pay the exam rewrite fee.
If you have more questions, you have several options:
- Contact your local PRO TRAINER
- Call the office at 1-800-667-5622.
- Fax your question to the Certification Department at 416-493-1756