Written by VEGA
This gluten-free brown rice salad contains the ideal recovery ratio of 3:1-4:1 carbohydrate to protein. It’s easy to prepare in the 20 minute post workout recovery phase, but can also be prepared well in advance. The greens contained here are packed full of vitamins, minerals, antioxidants, and fibre. The cold pressed oils in this salad are great for lubricating your joints and fighting inflammation. The magnesium found in the brown rice is great for relaxing tired muscles.
- ½ cup of pre-cooked brown rice
- 3 kale leaves washed and stem-removed
- ½ avocado cubed
- Handful of spinach
- 3 spears asparagus
- 2 Tbsp hemp hearts
- Half a handful of goji berries
- ½ tsp fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbsp Vega Antioxidant Omega Oil blend or hempseed oil
- Sea Salt to taste
- In sauce pot, add one cup of water to ½ cup of brown rice. Bring to a boil and immediately reduce to medium low heat, cover pot with lid and cook for about 25 minutes.
- Wash vegetables thoroughly. De-stem the kale, cut the asparagus spears into one-inch long pieces, and dice avocado into cubes.
- In a small bowl, whisk together oil and lemon juice to create dressing. Add sea salt to taste.
- In a medium sized bowl, mix vegetables, rice and dressing.
- Eat right out of the bowl or place rice salad on a large plate and sprinkle with the hemp hearts and goji berries.
For more free plant-based recipes, visit www.thriveforward.com. Thrive Forward is a free online program full of recipes and educational content. Register and learn more about whole food, clean, plant-based nutrition for wellness and optimal sport performance at www.thriveforward.com.