A post workout power-house smoothie with alkaline sustenance, anti-inflammatory, antioxidant and immune boosting nutrients and infused with recovery enhancers..
- 1 small banana frozen cubes (approx 3/4 cup)
- 1 cup fresh or frozen pineapple, cubed (contains bromelain, which has anti-inflammatory properties)
- 1 cup frozen blueberries (antioxidant rich)
- 1 large leaf kale, roughly torn (approximately 1 cup)
- 1 large handful parsley leaves, roughly chopped (nutrient dense)
- 1-2 tsp chia seeds, pre-soaked or ground (Omega 3, protein, calcium and iron powerhouses)
- ½ tsp cinnamon, ground (helps balance blood sugar levels)
- 1 tsp fresh ginger (immune boosting, digestion aid)
- ½ -1 tsp turmeric, ground or fresh root, roughly chopped, with a pinch of black pepper
- Approx ¾-1¼ cups purified or coconut water or non dairy milk such as Teri’s almond-coconut milk
- 2 scoops of your favourite natural or vanilla protein powder
- Fresh berries or coconut flakes to garnish, if desired
- 1 tsp maca powder (lowers cortisol levels and aids in recovery)
- 1 tsp spirulina (mineral, electrolyte and chlorophyll abundant)
- 1 scant tsp walnut oil (rich in Omega 3’s) and/or 1 heaping tsp hemp seeds
- 1 tsp vitamin C powder
- ¼ cup buckwheat groats, cashew, or macadamia nuts soaked overnight and drained
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- Measure all of the ingredients including the recovery enhancers into your blender adding a few cubes of ice if you enjoy a thicker consistency. Blend on high speed until creamy smooth adding additional liquid if needed.
- Pour into two tall glasses, garnish and enjoy this nourishing post-workout recovery smoothie.
Makes 2 large servings
Recipes created by Teri Gentes. Reprinted with permission. For more recipes and healthy cooking ideas please visit www.terigentes.com