By Dee Miller, canfitpro PRO TRAINER
- ½ lb. (225 g) pork tenderloin
- 2 cups ((500 mL) baby kale, chopped
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) apricot preserves
- 4 tbsp (60 mL) chicken stock, divided
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) Vidalia onion, chopped
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) almonds, slivered
- 2 tbsp (30 mL) dried apricots, chopped
- 1 tbsp (15 ml) plus ½ tsp (7.5mL) extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tbsp (15 mL) fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ tbsp (7.5 mL) garlic, minced
- ½ tsp (2.5 mL) pumpkin pie spice
- Himalayan Pink Salt Crystals, ground
- Black Pepper, ground
- Preheat oven to 350F. In a large ovenproof skillet, heat ½ tsp oil over medium heat. Add onion, apricots and pumpkin pie spice and cook, stirring, until softened, about 5 minutes. Add kale, 2 tbsp chicken stock to glaze pan and cook, stirring, until liquid evaporates, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1 minute more. Stir in almonds and season with salt and pepper. Scape filling into a bowl and set aside to cool.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine preserves with stock. Simmer over medium heat about 5 minutes or until slightly thickened. Remove glaze from heat and stir in parsley.
- Butterfly Pork: Place tenderloin on a cutting board. Using a sharp knife, run blade along length of tenderloin parallel to board. Cut open meat until you have a flat piece. Using a pounder, pound tenderloin to ½ “ thickness. Season pork with 1/8 tsp (60 mL) each salt & pepper and spread filling over meat. Roll tenderloin to original shape
- Using the same ovenproof skillet, heat remaining oil until shimmering. Add rolled pork and cook over med-high heat, turning until browned all over, about 8 min. Transfer pan to oven until thermometer reads 145 in the thickest section (about 15 minutes). Remove from oven and loosely cover pork with foil and let rest 10 min. Cut pork into 1” thick slices. Transfer to platter and drizzle with glaze.
Serve with wild rice and baked sweet potatoes.
Dee is a canfitpro PRO TRAINER and a sought after speaker and educator, regularly presenting at canfitpro events and Cancer Patient Education Conferences.
Over the past few years,Dee has received: “Ajax Recreation Volunteer of the Year Award”, has been nominated for “Business Person of the Year”, and CBC’s Champion of Change. Dee (with the help of everyone who voted for her idea) won the Pepsi “Refresh Project” which turned out the Healthy Bites Cookbook – Over 100 Recipes of Healthy Choices for Cancer Survivors.
Dee also holds certifications with ACE, RYT 200, TRX R4, FMA.