By Teri Gentes
It’s a proverbial snack for movie watchers, along with those watching their weight, and this air popped creation made with only five ingredients is popcorn perfection. It’s ever so easy, oh so yummy, and it delivers essential nutrients too. Like all my recipes, you can adapt it to meet your own taste preferences and play around with the spicing, creating a variety of choices that supersede what you’d find in the cinema. With the ever growing number of home theaters, it’s time to start making your own gourmet popcorn.
Sensational Simple Cheezie Popcorn (with a little spicy sass!)
- Vegan; gluten, soy, nut free
- Makes approx 6 cups
1/3 -1/2 cup organic non-GMO popcorn kernels
¼ cup good tasting nutritional yeast
Unrefined Sea Salt and Cayenne Pepper, to taste
Flavor Options: Smoked paprika, Jerk, BBQ, curry, Tex-Mex, etc.
If you prefer a salty and sweet combo, drizzle your popcorn with a little maple syrup, quality olive or walnut oil, and sea salt to taste. You do need to eat this version more quickly, yet for most that’s not usually an issue!
- Preheat the popper if needed, place a large bowl beside the popper and pour organic kernels into the popcorn popper, popping until all the kernels are popped.
- As the kernels pop and spill into the bowl, drizzle with the olive oil, sprinkle with sea salt and nutritional yeast, tossing well as the bowl fills. Once the popping is complete, add a sprinkle of cayenne pepper, toss again and then sit down and indulge guilt-free.
Teri’s Healthy Tips:
- Throw away any microwavable popcorn you may have lurking in your cupboard. The contents in that bag are a toxic chemical storm and the popping of it makes it even worse with the fumes it releases. The same issues arise with stove top oil-popped corn as well – the fats cooked at high temperatures release potentially toxic fumes. If you don’t have an air-popper, check out Salton. You’ll find these in stores such as Home Sense and Bath and Beyond, and you can order online at salton.com using terigentes15 for a 15% discount.
- Nutritional yeast has a nutty, cheese like flavor and is rich in B vitamins, 16 amino acids, the minerals chromium and phosphorus, and is a complete protein. It makes this popcorn a healthy sensation.
Teri is a devote foodie and ever finessing whole-self health and wellness warrior who loves life, nature, people and the fabulous blessing of feeling really good. Share this with her on various social media platforms and on her in-the-works new website. Watch for her seasonal eating programs and a new cookbook coming soon.