By Dee Miller, canfitpro PRO TRAINER
Super Bowl food doesn’t have to be calorie-laden. Round out your Super Bowl menu with this healthy snack that’s worth cheering about!
2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed well
1 cup (250 mL) turkey bacon, cooked, diced
1 cup (250 mL) red pepper, finely chopped
3 tbsp (45 mL) cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper
2 cups (500 mL) avocado, peeled, chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice, fresh
1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place two oven racks even distance from the top and bottom of the oven.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and brush sheets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil each.
- With a sharp knife, slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2- to 1/4-inch slices and arrange the slices in a single layer on the oiled baking sheets, then brush tops with the remaining one tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown underneath, rotating the pans 180 degrees and changing their positions on the upper/lower racks halfway through. Remove the pans from the oven, flip the slices over, roasting for an additional 8 to 11 minutes, until golden on top.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add avocado, lime juice and garlic together with a fork until the mixture is slightly chunky. Set aside.
- Transfer the baked sweet potato slices to a serving plate. Top each with a dollop of avocado mixture, chopped turkey bacon, red pepper and cilantro.
- Serve warm.
Dee Miller is a canfitpro PRO TRAINER and a sought after speaker and educator, regularly presenting at canfitpro events and Cancer Patient Education Conferences. Over the past few years, Dee has received: “Ajax Recreation Volunteer of the Year Award”, has been nominated for “Business Person of the Year”, and CBC’s Champion of Change. Dee (with the help of everyone who voted for her idea) won the Pepsi “Refresh Project” which turned out the Healthy Bites Cookbook – Over 100 Recipes of Healthy Choices for Cancer Survivors.
Dee also holds certifications with ACE, RYT 200, TRX R4, FMA