By Dee Miller, canfitpro PRO TRAINER
1 lb (450 g) shrimp, large, shelled, de-veined
¼ cup (75 mL) green onion, thinly sliced
¼ cup (75 mL) red pepper, diced fine
¼ cup (75 mL) oats, ground fine
¼ cup (75 mL) coconut, flaked, unsweetened
2 tbsp (30 mL) egg whites
1 tbsp (15 mL) lime zest
2 tsp (10 mL) horseradish
1 tsp (5 mL) garlic, minced
1 tsp (5 mL) fish sauce
½ tsp (2.5 mL) Sea salt
½ tsp (2.5 mL) pepper
Sweet Chili Sauce
1 cup (250 mL) honey
1/2 cup (125 mL) water + 2 tbsp (30 mL)
¼ cup (75 mL) rice vinegar
2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice
1 tbsp (15 mL) Kuzu (or cornstarch)
2 tsp (10 mL) garlic, minced
2 tsp (10 mL) fish sauce
1 tsp (5 mL) red pepper flakes (more if desired)
- Cut the shrimp into small chunks and set ½ aside.
- Place ½ the chopped shrimp into a blender and pulse until the shrimp in finely minced.
- In a large bowl mix the green onion, red pepper, lime zest, horseradish and garlic. Add in all the shrimp, fish sauce, egg whites, salt and pepper. Fold together gently.
- In a small bowl mix together the oats and coconut and add to shrimp mixture. Fold together gently until the mixture holds it shape if you form a ball (add more oats if needed).
- Chill mixture for 30 minutes or until it stiffens.
- Meanwhile, in a small sauce pan add honey, ½ cup of water, rice vinegar, lime juice, garlic, fish sauce and red pepper flakes. Continually whisking, bring the mixture to a boil for one minute over medium high heat.
- In a small bowl mix the Kuzu and 2 tbsp of water together.
- Lower the heat and add the Kuzu mixture into the sauce mixture. Bring back to a boil, stirring until thickened. Remove from heat and let cool.
- When chilled, form the shrimp mixture into small patties.
- Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat and add oil. Place the patties into the skillet and cook for 4 minutes on each side or until desired degree of doneness.
- Remove from heat and serve with Sweet Chili Sauce.
canfitpro PRO TRAINER (PTS, FIS, HWL, FMA and CPR) Dee Miller is a sought-after speaker and educator regularly presenting at canfitpro conferences, as well as a being a continuing education provider for canfitpro. Dee has written two Healthy Eating Cookbooks, with her third coming out this summer. Connect with Dee through her website Edeefy.com, FB@Dee Miller and Instagram protrainerdee.
Dee also holds certifications with ACE, RYT 200, TRX R4, FM