Healthy Lobster Bisque Recipe
By Dee Miller, canfitpro PRO TRAINER
2- 8 oz (450 g)) lobster tails, in shells
¾ cup (175 mL) coconut milk, low-fat
¾ cup (175 mL) onion, chopped fine
¼ cup (60 mL) chicken broth, low sodium
1 ½ tbsp (22 mL) tomato paste
½ cup (125 mL) great northern beans, drained, mashed well
1 tbsp (15 mL) coconut oil
1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced fine
Salt and Pepper to taste
- Fill a Dutch oven half full with water and bring to a boil over high heat. Add lobster tails and boil for 5-7 minutes or until the shells are bright red. Remove the lobster from the boiling water and set aside to cool. Reserve water.
- Remove the lobster from the shell. Place the shells back into the reserved water and boil for another 10 minutes. Strain and keep 1 ½ cups of boiled base.
- Meanwhile, remove any veins from the lobster tails and chop into bite size pieces and set aside.
- Heat the coconut oil in a medium sized sauce pan over medium-high heat. Add the onions and cook until tender, about 5-6 minutes. Add the garlic and cook until just fragrant (about 1 minutes).
- In a medium, bowl add the beans and the chicken broth. Stir until well blended.
- Add the bean mixture to the saucepan and stir to combine. Cook for 2 more minutes or until the mixture becomes a thick paste.
- Add the lobster base, coconut milk then the tomato paste. Stir to combine well. Simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Blend the cooled mixture in a blender and return to saucepan over medium heat. Add lobster meat and heat through, about 5 minutes. Season to taste.
- Pour into shot glasses and serve.