In all things in life there are ups and downs, highs and lows. We all experience daily stressors from our careers, relationships, finances, health, or in some cases, a sudden chronic incident like the death of a loved one.
The key to maintaining a healthy lifestyle is not to strive to eliminate these stressors, but rather to find ways to manage them. The important thing is to remember that you have a choice in how you handle each situation and if you are armed with effective resources, you can get through anything.
Here are some tips for daily stress relief:
- Exercise.Through exercise and the release of endorphins, your mood will naturally lift and will help to reduce the release of stress hormones.
- Support System.Ensure you have people you can talk to or be with during your challenging times. Reach out to family, friends, a doctor or therapist who you trust as a good listener.
- Journal.The act of writing your thoughts and feelings helps to minimize overwhelming feelings.
- Joy.Do things that you enjoy and that bring you pleasure. Maybe you love to dance, indulge in dinner with a friend, treat yourself to a massage, or have a relaxing bubble bath. Be sure to balance your stress with enjoyment so nothing seems too massive to control.
- Rest.Ensure you get enough rest and relaxation. Try yoga or meditation to clear your mind. Ensure you get regular and adequate sleep each night to re-charge and re-focus.
Trust that things will get better and that you can get through whatever is stressing you!
Recommended read: So Stressed: The Ultimate Stress-Relief Plan for Women, McClellan M.D. and Hamilton M.D., 2010.