Nutty Butter Squash Bake
Quality fats give our bodies energy. Coconut oil and the omega-3 fatty acids found in nuts and seeds fuel our bodies from the inside out and keep our minds sharp for the demands of day-to-day life. Coconut oil contains a medium chain triglyceride that is easily digested prior to exercise (similar to a carbohydrate), but sustains energy well, due it to being a fatty acid.
- 1½ cup butternut squash, peeled and cube
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil, melted
- ¼ tsp ground cumin
- 1 Tbsp fresh chives, chopped
- ¾ tsp salt
- 1 tbsp raw pecans, chopped
- 1 tbsp raw pistachios, chopped
- ¼ tsp dried chili flakes
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- Bring a pot of water to boil, add the butternut squash cubes and cook for 5 minutes. Drain and set aside to cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, combine ¾ Tbsp of coconut oil with the cumin, chives and ¼ tspofsalt. Toss immediately with the butternut squash. Place the mixture in an oven safe dish.
- In a bowl, combine the pecan, pistachios, red chili flakes, ½ tsp of salt and the remaining 1/4 Tbsp of coconut oil. Sprinkle the mixture over the butternut squash.
- Bake for 25 minutes.
- Serve hot if possible, and aim to consume 1 – 2 hours before workout.