By Angela Wallace, MSc, RD
Do you ever buy berries with great intentions of eating them, but they sit too long in your fridge and start to look unappetizing? Before you throw those berries out, I encourage you to try this delicious and simple chia seed jam.
Chia seed jam is a healthy spin on regular jam, and takes no time to make (full of fibre and antioxidants and low in added sugar). It’s the perfect treat for the entire family. If you have some overly ripe berries to use up, give this recipe a try.
2 cups ripe strawberries, sliced
1 tbsp. lemon juice
2 tbsp. water
1-2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 tsp. grated ginger (optional)
1-2 tbsp. honey
2 tbsp. chia seeds
- In a pot over medium heat, cook berries and continue to mix for 2-3 minutes.
- Add lemon juice, water, honey and vanilla.
- Continue to cook until fruit softens and forms a gel like substance (4-5 minutes).
- Remove from heat, mash using a fork or a masher to desired consistency. Taste and adjust sweetness if necessary.
- Add chia seeds and mix together well.
If you have a little one that wants to help, have them wash, stir, or mash the fruit!
Enjoy over Greek yogurt, frozen yogurt, on a slice of bread or with oatmeal.
Cheers to happy and healthy eating!