It looks like couples that work out together, stick together. No, really! Research shows that 94% of couples are more likely to stick to a fitness program when they exercise together.
Think about it; people are more likely to stick to a workout routine when they have support and camaraderie behind them. And what better person to get you through body-sculpting, fat-torching workouts day-after-day than your partner? All you need to do is find the right couple’s workout routine, and you and the S.O. can make the most motivational, heart-pumping date night ever.
So, for the month of love, Studio SWEAT onDemand’s got four fantastic exercises for the ultimate couple’s workout routine at home.
Linked Sit Ups
This is a classic couple’s workout – your partner is your rock, and in the case of this exercise—where you get the best resistance for the perfect sit-up.
How to Do It:
- Lie back on the floor with your knees bent
- Have your partner put their weight on your feet
- Slowly lift your upper body up about 5 inches or so
- Slowly lie back down
- Make sure you’re engaging your core and have your hands on your head
- As an alternative: both of you can face each other and link your shoes to your calves
- Perform the sit ups at the same time
- Do 15 reps per person for 2 sets
Muscles worked: Core
Our partners should hold us up, but for the sake of this couple workout, let your partner be the resistant force that makes a pushup all the more intense.
How to Do It:
- Get on your hands and knees, hands shoulder width apart
- Keeping your back straight, get up in a plank position with legs hip-width apart
- Lower your upper body by bending your elbows
- Have your partner push on your shoulders as your slowly go back to the start position
- As an alternative, have your partner lie on your back, or have your partner put their feet on your shoulders and weigh you down in a plank position
- Repeat 15 times for 2 sets
Muscles worked: Chest and Triceps
The most brilliant way to engage your core? Using the weight of your legs. There are endless variations of this move, but we love this one because this cute (but super intense) exercise ends with you and your partner doing a little love tap with your legs!
How to Do It:
- Sit up on the floor with your partner by your side
- Sit back so both of you are on your forearms your lower spine is rounded
- Both of you lift your legs with knees bent
- While engaging your core, move your legs in a half-heart movement
- Touch your feet together at the top
- Hold the movement for a moment
- Repeat 20 times for 2 sets
Muscles worked: Glutes & Core
Linked Couple Squats
Nothing’s better than when you and your boo are in sync. Why not put that connection to the test with a couple’s squat that uses your partner’s bodyweight as leverage?