Personal Training Specialist
To view dates & locations, or to register now, click the link below.FIND A COURSE NEAR YOU!
Training created especially for candidates who work with clients on an individual or small group basis and design exercise programs for improved fitness and health.
Personal Training is a fast growing industry!
Personal training is a rapidly growing profession, which can make it difficult to sort through the options and choose the best avenue to become qualified to train clients. canfitpro provides the answer with the Personal Training Specialist (PTS) certification. You will learn the foundational skills necessary to confidently and competently train apparently healthy individuals. A canfitpro certified PTS is qualified to assess, design, and deliver individual and small group training programs in a health club, home, and workplace setting.
Canada’s leading personal training certification designation, the canfitpro Personal Training Specialist program provides comprehensive program content and a wide range of practical skills that will ensure success to those who hold the designation. canfitpro has collaborated with Human Kinetics Publishing Inc. to create a multimedia learning experience for personal trainers that is second to none!
The Personal Training Specialist Course
The PTS course is a comprehensive in-class and online course designed to increase your knowledge and confidence level to train clients in a one-on-one or small group (2-3 people) setting. The course consists of online and in-class learning. The online learning resource provides an interactive experience going through the key concepts from the course manual. The comprehensive in-class course covers a wide range of topics preparing you for the exams and the career of a personal trainer!
- Aspects of fitness, wellness and basic training principles
- Nutrition and bioenergetics
- Cardiorespiratory, skeletal, and muscular system anatomy and function
- Flexibility, mobility, and fascia
- Passive and dynamic assessments
- Periodized program design and delivery
- The business of personal training
The Personal Training Specialist Course Manual
The course manual, Foundations of Professional Personal Training Second Edition, was published in 2016 by Human Kinetics Publishing Inc. The content was provided by industry experts including Dr. Gregory Anderson, Dr. Brad Schoenfeld, Chris Frederick, Chad Benson, Brian Justin, Mark Stone, and Rod Macdonald. Contained within is the most up to date information on current topics including static and dynamic postural assessments, fascia and program design, to go along with the more traditional topics of anatomy, exercise physiology, biomechanics, and bioenergetics.
The course manual, Foundations of Professional Personal Training Second Edition, is available in hardcopy and comes with access to a complete online course and web resource where you will find a video library and forms that you can download and use for your own business.
Personal Training Specialist Study Prep
canfitpro recognizes the amount of knowledge required to successfully complete the Personal Training Specialist exams. As such, we are excited to provide the new Study Prep Online course to streamline and guide your studying efforts.
You will have access to modules for each chapter, video lectures, study cards, chapter quizzes, case studies, and mock exams. Save valuable time by focusing on the key areas necessary to become a successful Personal Training Specialist.
To Register, just select and add the “Personal Training Specialist Study Guide” to your package.
The Personal Training Specialist Exam
We recommend that candidates attempt the theory exam approximately three (3) weeks after taking the course. This time frame is recommended in order to allow candidates to properly prepare for the exam. Those who choose the option to progress and become a certified Personal Training Specialist will complete a theory and practical exam. These two components assess the candidate’s theoretical knowledge, rapport building skills, and practical application of fitness theory to train clients. The theory exam consists of multiple choice questions, plus a written client case study. The practical exam is an actual workout with a client that is evaluated by your PRO TRAINER.
A canfitpro certified Personal Training Specialist is qualified to:
- Evaluate client needs in physical activity and nutrition based on the counseling foundations in the Personal Training Specialist program and provide the client with a safe and effective exercise plan based on their needs, abilities and goals.
- Assess, design and deliver individual and small group (2-3 individuals) training program in a health club, home and workplace setting.
- Confirm that clients have completed the Physical Activity Readiness Questionnaire (PAR-Q developed by Health Canada), and then provide an individualized training session to apparently healthy individuals who have no known major medical conditions.
- Monitor client resting and exercise heart rate and blood pressure regularly.
- Develop a client specific exercise plan within your level of ability and progress to more advanced training techniques with clients once the proper competency has been achieved.
- Modify all client exercise technique as needed to strive for optimal individual biomechanical effectiveness.
- Promote the benefits of regular physical activity and a balanced lifestyle combined with a healthy diet using Canada’s Physical Activity Guide as a reference.
- Provide generalized advice on nutrition based on Canada’s Food Guide. Individuals who require more specific advice on diet and supplements must be referred to a qualified nutrition professional.
- Answer general questions for participants on injuries or discomforts related to exercise. All injuries must be diagnosed and treated by a qualified medical professional.
- Provide emergency care based on the participant needs (contact EMS, provide Emergency First Aid or CPR).
As a certified Personal Trainer, I agree to provide a safe and effective individual exercise program that provides appropriate exercise selection and intensity to meet the individual needs of each adult client.
As a certified Personal Training Specialist (PTS), I agree to respect my role, abide by the Code of Ethics and work within my Standards of Practice at all times.
I recognize that failure to follow this Standards of Practice will result in immediate removal of my PTS certification designation.