Lots of healthy ingredients like quinoa, black beans, and veggies packed into portobello mushroom cups. This dish can be successfully served as a main or appetizer. Tastes great topped with mashed avocado and a side of crispy corn nachos. They’re fun looking, colourful, and always a huge crowd pleaser. Rich in flavour and ready to be served in less than 30 minutes!
Total time: 25 minutes
Makes 4 mushroom cups = 2 mains or 4 appetizers
- 4 portobello mushroom cups
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ of a red onion, diced
- ½ of a red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 tbsp chopped jalapeno pepper
- 1 cup quinoa, cooked
- ½ cup black beans, canned, rinsed and drained
- ½ cup sweet corn, canned, rinsed and drained
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp cumin powder
- ½ cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 ripe avocado
- Pinch of salt and pepper
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- Arrange mushrooms on a baking tray lined with parchment paper, remove stems and gills from mushroom cups and set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a deep skillet. Add onions, bell pepper, and jalapenos. Sauté for about 5 minutes or until cooked through, but still a bit crunchy.
- Remove skillet from the heat. Add quinoa, black beans, sweet corn, salt, garlic powder, and cumin. Mix to combine.
- Stuff mushroom cups with quinoa black bean filling. Bake at 375F for 12 minutes, top with shredded cheddar, return to oven and broil for 2 minutes.
- Add avocado, salt, pepper and lemon juice to a bowl or deep plate. Mash with a fork. Serve on top of stuffed mushrooms.