By Dee Miller, canfitpro PRO TRAINER
Super Bowl food doesn’t have to be calorie-laden. Round out your Super Bowl menu with this healthy snack that’s worth cheering about!
2 sweet potatoes, scrubbed well
1 cup (250 mL) turkey bacon, cooked, diced
1 cup (250 mL) red pepper, finely chopped
3 tbsp (45 mL) cilantro, chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) extra-virgin olive oil
Salt & Pepper
2 cups (500 mL) avocado, peeled, chopped
2 tbsp (30 mL) lime juice, fresh
1 tbsp (15 mL) garlic, minced
Salt to taste
Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Place two oven racks even distance from the top and bottom of the oven.
- Line two rimmed baking sheets with parchment paper and brush sheets with 1/2 tablespoon olive oil each.
- With a sharp knife, slice the sweet potatoes into 1/2- to 1/4-inch slices and arrange the slices in a single layer on the oiled baking sheets, then brush tops with the remaining one tablespoon olive oil. Sprinkle salt and black pepper.
- Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until golden brown underneath, rotating the pans 180 degrees and changing their positions on the upper/lower racks halfway through. Remove the pans from the oven, flip the slices over, roasting for an additional 8 to 11 minutes, until golden on top.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, add avocado, lime juice and garlic together with a fork until the mixture is slightly chunky. Set aside.
- Transfer the baked sweet potato slices to a serving plate. Top each with a dollop of avocado mixture, chopped turkey bacon, red pepper and cilantro.
- Serve warm.